What does pregnancy fatigue involve?
Why are you so tired during pregnancy?
What can you do to fight fatigue?
- A healthy diet filled with certain key nutrients can fuel your energy. Complex carbohydrates such as wholegrain products, potatoes and chickpeas can recharge you. Protein as found in foods like chicken, eggs and tilapia regulates the release of that energy1
- If your exhaustion is due to anemia, eat more iron-rich foods such as sardines, and tuna, plus vegetables such as spinach and broccoli2,3
- Gentle exercises during the day, such as swimming or going for a walk, can improve the quality of your sleep.4 But do check with your doctor about appropriate prenatal exercises5
- Avoid caffeinated drinks within six hours of bedtime6
- Try not to stress out if you have insomnia. Nap during the day if you can
1Fight Fatigue With Energy Foods. – WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/diet/fight-fatigue-energy-foods-6/power-up?page=3
2Vitamins and minerals during pregnancy – March of Dimes Foundation. http://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/vitamins-and-minerals-during-pregnancy.aspx.
3Iron Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet – National Institutes of Health. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/.
4How does exercise affect sleep duration and quality? – National Sleep Foundation. https://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/how-does-exercise-affect-sleep-duration-and-quality.
5Pregnancy and Exercise: Baby, Let’s Move! – Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/pregnancy-week-by-week/in-depth/pregnancy-and-exercise/art-20046896.
6Good Sleep Habits. – Mayo Health System. http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations/eau-claire/medical-services/neurodiagnostics/good-sleep-habits.