Pregnancy can be a tough job. Sometimes all we need is just a helping hand. This is why we’ve compiled a list of helpful products to have when you're expecting.
Best Pregnancy Products for Prenatal Mothers
Here are some of the best pregnancy products we believe you should include in your checklist1:
Pregnancy pillows are long pillows that you place in between your legs as you sleep on your side. During pregnancy, your options for safe sleep positions are limited because of the changes that you and the baby in your womb are going through2. Pregnancy pillows make it easier for you to sleep on your side as well as help you improve the quality of your sleep. These pillows also help relieve neck, shoulder, back, and hip pain3.
Your body adapts and changes as it goes through pregnancy4. This means that how you distribute and carry weight also changes. Additionally, your feet might tend to swell during pregnancy. This can become an issue especially on days when you walk a lot. Make the decision to invest in a good pair of maternity shoes and it may just be one of the best pregnancy products you can have. A good pair of shoes can alleviate joint pain. It can also prevent complications such as varicose veins, heel pain, sprain or trauma to the ligament, and swelling4. Look for flats or flip flops when buying your pair of shoes.
Your usual wardrobe may not be the best fit as your body changes throughout pregnancy. Your clothes can be restrictive and uncomfortable especially as your bump begins to grow. Maternity jeans are one of the best pregnancy products to have because it helps you to have a comfortable pregnancy. Maternity jeans come in many styles such as jersey basque, over-the-bump, under-the-bump, drawstring, fly front, and side panels5. Find the style that suits you best so you can be comfortable and in fashion during your pregnancy.
A pregnancy journal is one of the best pregnancy products to have as well. A pregnancy journal allows you to track your progress so you know what to expect. You can also journal the food you consume to come up with a diet regime that suits you best as you go further along the pregnancy. Besides, it also serves as an outlet that can help you reduce stress as well as organize your thoughts and feelings. It can also serve as a remembrance that you can look back to later on.
A growing child in your womb can add quite a bit of weight to your step. The simple act of walking and standing may be difficult as your baby grows during pregnancy. A belly band can help with these problems by providing relief and support as you carry your baby in the womb6. The comfort, support, and relief that a belly band provides are important. These factors also make it one of the best pregnancy products to have.
Morning Sickness Relief
No one likes to wake up to vomit and nausea in the morning. Prepare some morning sickness relief medication the next time you go shopping, especially if you find that your bouts of morning sickness are intense.
To minimise bouts of nausea and vomiting due to morning sickness, you can opt to use the following medication or natural alternatives:
Vitamin B6 supplements
Antihistamines, such as promethazine
Best Pregnancy Products for Postnatal Mothers
The best pregnancy products aren’t limited to items during your pregnancy. Here are some products that are great for post-pregnancy:
Sitz baths are great because they have a lot of benefits to you7. It improves blood flow to the perineal area, reduces swelling and inflammation, and promotes healing. It also helps the muscles in the perineum relax, thus alleviating pains that can come from possible tears. Sitz baths also soothe soreness from childbirth stretching and relieve the itching from stitches7. Lastly, it helps lower the risk of infection by keeping the area clean.
Postpartum bleeding occurs as the uterus begins to heal, returning to its normal size8. This bleeding can last for several weeks with the heaviest flow occurring in the first two weeks. Bleeding can be inconvenient as it can stain clothes and irritate sensitive skin as well. This is where maternity pads can be helpful. Good maternity pads can prevent postpartum bleeding from staining clothes without irritating sensitive skin.
Maternal Milk Formula
Maternal milk formula can be an alternative source of nutrients. Enfamama A+ Maternal & Lactating Formula comes with 360° DHA PLUS and is a high quality milk supplement specially formulated for pregnant and lactating moms. It can support the nutritional needs of mothers and development of babies during pregnancy and lactation. It is also high in Folic Acid, Iron and Calcium - plus lower in fat (80% less fat than full cream milk).
Are you on the lookout for maternal milk that can help support your journey to motherhood? Join the Enfamama A+ Club today to get free samples and unlock a world of privileges which include exclusive vouchers, promotions, expert advice and many more!
Dr. Raymond Choy Wai Mun
MBChB (UK), Aviation Medicine (Singapore)
- Best Pregnancy Products ( 2020 ) Retrieved November 28, 2020 from https://www.babycenter.com/baby-products/maternity/best-pregnancy-products_40007230
- Best Pregnancy Body Pillows to Help You Sleep More Comfortably ( 2020 ) Retrieved November 28, 2020 from https://www.whattoexpect.com/baby-products/pregnancy/best-body-pillows-pregnancy/
- 8 of the Best Body Pillows: What Are Their Benefits? ( n.d. ) Retrieved November 28,2020 from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/best-body-pillow#sleep-quality
- Choosing Comfortable Footwear During Pregnancy ( 2018 ) Retrieved November 28, 2020 from https://parenting.firstcry.com/articles/importance-of-comfortable-footwear-in-pregnancy/#:~:text=It%20is%20recommended%20to%20opt,pregnancy%20are%20slip%2Don%20shoes.
- Buying Maternity Jeans ( 2020 ) Retrieved November 28, 2020 from https://www.babycentre.co.uk/a562821/buying-maternity-jeans
- How Belly Bands and Belts Help Relieve Pregnancy’s Discomfort ( 20202 ) Retrieved November 28, 2020 from https://www.premierhealth.com/your-health/articles/women-wisdom-wellness-/how-belly-bands-and-belts-help-relieve-pregnancy-s-discomfort#:~:text=Belly%20bands%2C%20which%20are%20flexible,exposed%20as%20the%20belly%20expands.
- 5 Benefits of a Sitz Bath After Birth ( 2020 ) Retrieved November 28, 2020 from https://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/postpartum-health-and-care/sitz-bath-postpartum/#:~:text=There%20are%20a%20number%20of,that%20comes%20from%20childbirth%20stretching.
- Maternity Pads: What to Expect and How to Choose ( n.d. ) Retrieved November 28, 2020 from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/maternity-pads#_noHeaderPrefixedContent