What does pregnancy fatigue involve?
You often experience tiredness and sleeping problems during pregnancy. Other common symptoms of pregnancy, such as morning sickness, can also exhaust you, making it hard to continue going about your daily activities.
Why are you so tired during pregnancy?
You are settling into your new role as a mom, and so is your body. It’s working really hard to support your developing baby’s growth, so you feel more run down, especially in the early stages of pregnancy and again in the third trimester as your body prepares for delivery.
Changes in your hormone levels and metabolism may lead to tiredness and your growing baby bump can make for an uncomfortable sleeping position. Feeling like you are drained of energy can also be attributed to iron deficiency in your body, a condition known as anemia.
What can you do to fight fatigue?
A healthy diet filled with certain key nutrients can fuel your energy. Complex carbohydrates such as wholegrain products, potatoes and chickpeas can recharge you. Protein as found in foods like chicken, eggs and tilapia regulates the release of that energy¹.
If your exhaustion is due to anemia, eat more iron-rich foods such as sardines, and tuna, plus vegetables such as spinach and broccoli²´³
Gentle exercises during the day,such as swimming or going for a walk, can improve the quality of your sleep⁴. But do check with your doctor about appropriate prenatal exercises⁵.
Avoid caffeinated drinks within six hours of bedtime⁶.
Try not to stress out if you have insomnia. Nap during the day if you can.
- Fight Fatigue With Energy Foods. – WebMD. http://www.webmd.com/diet/fight-fatigue-energy-foods-6/power-up?page=3
- Vitamins and minerals during pregnancy – March of Dimes Foundation. http://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/vitamins-and-minerals-du...
- Iron Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet – National Institutes of Health. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
- How does exercise affect sleep duration and quality? – National Sleep Foundation. https://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/how-does-exe...
- Pregnancy and Exercise: Baby, Let’s Move! – Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/pregnancy-week-by-week/in-depth...
- Good Sleep Habits. – Mayo Health System. http://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/locations/eau-claire/medical-services/...